Miscellaneous Ramblings of a Mother of Three

General rantings, musings and purging

Saturday, May 25, 2002


I thought I had already posted this, but it never showed up, so I will try again.

Graduation was just what I needed. I needed to see those faces light up when I called their names. I needed to see the look of pride and accomplishment on their faces. I needed to see them cry from pure joy.

I will miss this group like crazy. I say that nearly every year, but this one will be really hard to replace. I didn't know how much I would miss them until I saw them leaving last night. We are such a small group that everyone becomes very, very close. They really do feel like my own kids after four years. We see them as much or more than their own parents do and many of them tell me things they wouldn't ever mention to another adult.

Since Denise and I were the sponsors, we were part of the ceremony. I called out the names for her homeroom and she did mine. (This kept the dumbass principals out of the loop.) The homerooms are divided alphabetically, so it was very easy to split up. When she called my kids' names, they got their diplomas and then walked to me and I turned their tassles. It was very important to them that Denise and I do this and not the principal. We were very happy to oblige.

I knew it was going to be hard. I got a bit choked up calling a few of the names. Then I had stand there and watch them walk across to me. No words for that. They are so proud they are beaming. I couldn't look some of them in the eye as they approached because I knew I would just boo hoo. I did pretty well-- couple of them got to me, but I wasn't a mess until the very end. Then one of my boys came up to me and simply siad,"It's been an honor, ma'am." I lost it. He has always been a favorite of mine and not a demonstrative child at all. I knew I was his favorite teacher (it was obvious), but to hear him say that was just so overwhelming. I was so shaken, I forgot to turn the next girl's tassle and it was Jenny. She and I were too busy hugging and crying. I felt terrible about that, so afterwards I officially tunred the tassle and graduated her :-). Bobby came up to me after graduation and apologized for making me cry. He has no idea how he validated my whole career with those five words. I will cherish that moment forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home