Miscellaneous Ramblings of a Mother of Three

General rantings, musings and purging

Saturday, June 01, 2002


The End of an Era

I realized yesterday as I cleaned out the kids' clothes drawers that I am about to have to actually get rid of baby stuff. Things that have been a part of who we are for the past 8 years. Not even stuff with specific memories, just things that have been a constant. There is a pair of fish print shorts that Five got from my sister. A 12 months striped onesie from Baby Gap that I loved the moment I saw it. The little church outfits.

I knew this day was coming. You can hardly walk through our house due to the clothes. Everyone still buys clothes for Sam, so we are just about buried alive.

I boxed up some stuff and just put it away after winter, knowing that Sam would not be able to wear it anymore, but I didn't really face the fact that we have officially passed babyhood. Sam will be 2 in just a few months. How fast it all goes. I am a bit taken aback by how much has happened in our lives since 1999 when Jay was born. It really seems like two different lives--pre-babies and post-babies. I guess maybe this means I am coming out of the fog that has nearly smothered me since Jay was tiny. I am able to recognize things about myself that had been very blurry for so long. I know that makes no sense, but I have a picture in my mind of what or who I used to be and what and who I am now. Somehow we have to meld them together.

Baby clothes.There is nothing like them...I am going to go through and select a few things to have quilts made with. Then I can look back at this time and remember, but also be able to put a little chapter behind me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home